Thinking of the LVN to RN program? What are the nursing program degree requirement if you already have a licensed licensed vocational nursing diploma or degree? The Licensed Practical Nurse or LPN is synonymous to the LVN licensure. California and Texas are the two states that refer to the certification as Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN). If you are an LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse), you may wish to take the necessary training to become a registered nurse or RN.
LVN to BSN Program Education and Training
An LVN is also known as a LPN or a licensed Practical Nurse, depending on the state. There are two basic ways to get an LVN to RN degree. One way is to return to your community or local vocational school for another year of nursing training. This will give you a two year Associates Degree. After that, you can take the exam to become a registered nurse. Another way is to take training to receive a four year BSN degree. The BSN or Bachelor of Science in Nursing will give you the qualifications to take the registered nurse exam. The BSN will also qualify you for other advancements in the nursing field.
Associates Degree Requirements
You will need to be currently licensed as an LPN or LVN. You must also have a high school diploma. Some schools may require a certain score on ACT or SAT tests. Some of the courses in the LVN to RN program you will need to take are as follows.
- Pediatric Nursing
You will need to pass the NCLEX test to become a registered nurse. This is done after you complete the course and get your Associates Degree in Nursing. The test will cover things that you need to become a registered nurse.
If you are an LVN, you may wish to receive a BSN degree in nursing to become an RN. This is a four year course, but you may be able to take in less time, as you have some qualifications, already. The BSN degree will require some of the same courses as the Associates Degree. However, there will be many other courses needed in the LVN to RN program. You will need to take several courses in nursing management.
You will have advantages with the BSN degree. It will qualify you for many different positions in the field of nursing. You may wish to have a job as a staff nurse, or you may decide to teach.
To have a license, a graduate of the LVN to RN program need to pass the licensing exam called NCLEX. This stands for National Council of Sate Boards of Nursing. This may qualify you for a career in nursing. The exam will test your basic skills and understanding of nursing. Other licensing requirements will depend on the job that you apply for.
Careers in Nursing
You may expect to take on more responsibilities as a registered nurse. However, you will be getting considerably more pay. You also may wish to enter a specialty field and as a registered nurse, it may be much easier. If you are interested in nursing management, your RN license will help a great deal. You may wish to start as hospital staff nurse and advance to head nurse, or director of nursing. All of these jobs will carry more pay and more responsibilities. Your hours and job duties will vary according to your job title.
Registered Nursing Programs
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)