Thinking of the LVN to RN program? What are the nursing program degree requirement if you already have a licensed licensed vocational nursing diploma or degree? The Licensed Practical Nurse or LPN is synonymous to the LVN licensure. California and Texas are the two states that refer to the certification as Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN). If you are an LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse), you may wish to take the necessary training to become a registered nurse or RN.
LVN to BSN Program Education and Training
An LVN is also known as a LPN or a licensed Practical Nurse, depending on the state. There are two basic ways to get an LVN to RN degree. One way is to return to your community or local vocational school for another year of nursing training. This will give you a two year Associates Degree. After that, you can take the exam to become a registered nurse. Another way is to take training to receive a four year BSN degree. The BSN or Bachelor of Science in Nursing will give you the qualifications to take the registered nurse exam. The BSN will also qualify you for other advancements in the nursing field.
Associates Degree Requirements
You will need to be currently licensed as an LPN or LVN. You must also have a high school diploma. Some schools may require a certain score on ACT or SAT tests. Some of the courses in the LVN to RN program you will need to take are as follows.
- Pediatric Nursing
You will need to pass the NCLEX test to become a registered nurse. This is done after you complete the course and get your Associates Degree in Nursing. The test will cover things that you need to become a registered nurse.
If you are an LVN, you may wish to receive a BSN degree in nursing to become an RN. This is a four year course, but you may be able to take in less time, as you have some qualifications, already. The BSN degree will require some of the same courses as the Associates Degree. However, there will be many other courses needed in the LVN to RN program. You will need to take several courses in nursing management.
You will have advantages with the BSN degree. It will qualify you for many different positions in the field of nursing. You may wish to have a job as a staff nurse, or you may decide to teach.
To have a license, a graduate of the LVN to RN program need to pass the licensing exam called NCLEX. This stands for National Council of Sate Boards of Nursing. This may qualify you for a career in nursing. The exam will test your basic skills and understanding of nursing. Other licensing requirements will depend on the job that you apply for.
Careers in Nursing
You may expect to take on more responsibilities as a registered nurse. However, you will be getting considerably more pay. You also may wish to enter a specialty field and as a registered nurse, it may be much easier. If you are interested in nursing management, your RN license will help a great deal. You may wish to start as hospital staff nurse and advance to head nurse, or director of nursing. All of these jobs will carry more pay and more responsibilities. Your hours and job duties will vary according to your job title.
Registered Nursing Programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Earn your online degree from SNHU. Study Anytime, Anywhere. Flexible on your schedule
- Over 200 career-focused online programs, one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- Education and Teaching Doctoral Degree
- Education and Teaching Certificate
- Education and Teaching Associate's Degree
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma