Are you considering licensed vocational nursing programs? Are you thinking of entering the nursing profession? What is a vocational nurse? In California and Texas, licensed practical nurses (LPNs) are referred to as licensed vocational nurses (LVNs). Licensed vocational nursing (LVN) schools prepare students to provide basic nursing care and assessment to patients. It may be a good idea to look into Licensed Vocational Nursing programs (LVN programs). These positions are also known as Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) programs depending on the state.
LVN Training and Licensing
Community college or private vocational college is the best choice for meeting educational requirements. These are usually entry-level positions in the field of nursing. You can expect to work 40 hours a week if you work full-time and that may include weekends and evenings. People often need care twenty fours a day and seven days a week. Some jobs may require late hours and holidays.
You may not have to go any further than your local vocational or technical school if you choose not too but many graduates go on to pursue RN qualifications. There also may be courses available at community colleges. Courses in licensed vocational nursing programs may include Anatomy and Physiology, Fundamentals of Nursing, Pharmacology, Maternal and Child Health, and Medical/Surgical Nursing.
LVN training may only take a year to complete and then you can take the NCLEX-PN test. When you pass this test, you will receive your LVN license. The exam will be about things that you learn in the course of your LVN training.
Some of your LVN nursing program training may be taken online or in classroom environment. However, you will need to have training and experience is patient care. This must be done in a hospital environment with real patients. It cannot be simulated in the classroom or on the Internet.
Careers in Nursing
There will be many different things that you may be asked to do on your job. You will work under the supervision of nurses or doctors and will be involved in patient care procedures. This may something as simple as dispensing medications, or it may be more involved like changing bedpans and monitoring urine output.
The work can sometimes be considered heavy and there may be a lot of lifting at times. It can also be stressful mentally, as well as physically. Some of the work may not be for everyone, so if you do not feel comfortable taking care of basic needs for people, you might be in the wrong profession. You will probably spend a great deal of the day either standing or walking on hard floors.
You may have to deal with people that are sometimes disagreeable and hard to get along with. Sometimes you may be called upon to assist nurses with patients that need special care and you may have to assist doctors with certain procedures.
LPN and LVN Programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Medical Assistant
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...