Are you considering licensed vocational nursing programs? Are you thinking of entering the nursing profession? What is a vocational nurse? In California and Texas, licensed practical nurses (LPNs) are referred to as licensed vocational nurses (LVNs). Licensed vocational nursing (LVN) schools prepare students to provide basic nursing care and assessment to patients. It may be a good idea to look into Licensed Vocational Nursing programs (LVN programs). These positions are also known as Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) programs depending on the state.
LVN Training and Licensing
Community college or private vocational college is the best choice for meeting educational requirements. These are usually entry-level positions in the field of nursing. You can expect to work 40 hours a week if you work full-time and that may include weekends and evenings. People often need care twenty fours a day and seven days a week. Some jobs may require late hours and holidays.
You may not have to go any further than your local vocational or technical school if you choose not too but many graduates go on to pursue RN qualifications. There also may be courses available at community colleges. Courses in licensed vocational nursing programs may include Anatomy and Physiology, Fundamentals of Nursing, Pharmacology, Maternal and Child Health, and Medical/Surgical Nursing.
LVN training may only take a year to complete and then you can take the NCLEX-PN test. When you pass this test, you will receive your LVN license. The exam will be about things that you learn in the course of your LVN training.
Some of your LVN nursing program training may be taken online or in classroom environment. However, you will need to have training and experience is patient care. This must be done in a hospital environment with real patients. It cannot be simulated in the classroom or on the Internet.
Careers in Nursing
There will be many different things that you may be asked to do on your job. You will work under the supervision of nurses or doctors and will be involved in patient care procedures. This may something as simple as dispensing medications, or it may be more involved like changing bedpans and monitoring urine output.
The work can sometimes be considered heavy and there may be a lot of lifting at times. It can also be stressful mentally, as well as physically. Some of the work may not be for everyone, so if you do not feel comfortable taking care of basic needs for people, you might be in the wrong profession. You will probably spend a great deal of the day either standing or walking on hard floors.
You may have to deal with people that are sometimes disagreeable and hard to get along with. Sometimes you may be called upon to assist nurses with patients that need special care and you may have to assist doctors with certain procedures.
LPN and LVN Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education (Bridge)
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Library Science and Media
- BA/English Language Learner Studies
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!