What is Certified Nursing Assistant Training (CNA)? What careers does CNA training lead to, and what does it take to become a certified nursing assistant? Understanding the certified nurse aide training and the requirements for practice are important to professional success. As a CNA or certified nursing assistant, you will play a vital role in patient care. You can make a big difference in the lives of many people. You will work under the supervision of nurses and may have the title of “nurse’s aide”.
Nursing Assistant Education and Training
You will need to have a high school diploma or equivalency, like a GED degree. You then need to take a CNA certification program. The Certified Nursing Assistant Training program is usually a six to twelve week program and can be taken at your local community college and other facilities.
Depending on where you live, you also may have to pass a state certification exam, after training. There is classroom training and you can expect to also have clinical training, that will give you on the job experience. Some certified nursing assistant course requirements you may expect are as follows.
- Basic nursing skills
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Infection control
Certified Nurse Aide Careers
Here are some important aspects of the job, for those that wish to take certified nursing assistant training. CNAs, are known as orderlies, nurses’ aides, patient care technicians, and home health aides. They work under the supervision of a registered nurse (RN) to provide assistance to patients with daily living tasks. CNAs are responsible for the basic care services for example bathing, grooming and feeding patients, assisting nurses with medical equipment, checking patient vital signs providing social and emotional support, and providing vital information on patient conditions to the RN.
A CNA does a lot of work with hospital patients, and they work with nurses in administering patient care. CNAs generally work in home health care, hospice care, assisted living and long-term care facilities. The job can be a good starting place for those that wish to pursue a career as a registered nurse or LPN or LVN. Other duties of the job may include the following.
- Giving medications to patients
- Feeding and bathing patients
- Checking patient vital signs
- Assisting nurses with moving and using medical equipment
- Performing CPR and helping staff with code blue procedures
There may be a great deal of variances in wages for CNA workers. The demand for all health care workers, including those with certified nursing assistant training, is expected to increase in the future. And of course, there is the possibility of more training and higher paying nursing careers.
Nursing Assistant Programs
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant
- AAS - Medical Office Administration
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate (MSN to FNP)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Education (Bridge)