A BSN degree is a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing. This is a four year course, and the training is taken by people that wish to become professional nurses. It is one of the most popular methods for students that wish an entry level position in nursing. This is not to be confused with the Second Degree Bachelor of Science in nursing, as this is for people that already hold a four year degree in a field other than nursing.
BSN Training and Education
This gives them a second degree and takes much less time, as they may already have many college credits that are needed. In most cases, it takes about two years for a Second Degree. Some courses may be offered as an Accelerated Degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing. This is also for those seeking a second degree.
The accelerated course may be completed in as little as one year. The main difference between the second degree and accelerated nursing program is the time frame. There are also BSN courses for professional nurses. These courses are designed for nurses (RN, LPN, LVN) that wish to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing. This will help them to pursue careers in teaching, research and other opportunities.
There will be many nursing courses to complete. Expect courses like nursing management, clinical nursing, nursing care and others, as well as completing a minumum number of clinical rotation hours in health facilties. You will need to have completed a high school education in order to start training. There will be many subjects required to pass the course. Here is what you may expect depending on the program you enroll in.
- English composition
You may already have credits for some courses like Biology, Math, and English. In that case, they may not be required. Specific BSN curricula varies, but may include courses that include:
- Health Maintenance and Restoration
- Health Education
- Community Health Nursing
- Mental Health and Illness
- Public Health Nursing
After completing the course, you will need to pass a NCLEX exam. This stands for National Council of Sate Boards of Nursing. This may qualify you for a career in nursing. The exam will test your basic skills and understanding of nursing. Other licensing requirements will depend on the job that you apply for.
Careers in Nursing
You may be able to qualify as a RN, LPN, or LVN. If you are a nurse with a BSN degree you may be able to qualify as a specialty nurse in things like cardiology or gynecology. You also may be able to go into teaching or research.
As a nurse, you will be able to provide proper patient care. You will understand why and how patients respond to treatment. You will have scientific and clinical knowledge and also be skilled in nursing management.
You will be a professional nurse and be able to respond to all aspects of the jobs and emergency situations. You may be expected to work, nights, weekends, and holidays. You may need to spend long hours on your feet and deal with patients that may be confused or difficult at times.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assisting
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant