Accelerated nursing degrees are an approach to deal with the ongoing shortage of nursing. In these fast track programs, nurses go though the coursework and training at a faster rate than a regular program of study. The program is designed for future nursing professionals who already have a baccalaureate degree, in another field, and want to complete the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). In a shorter amount of time, you can earn a BSN degree that will prepare you to enter the nursing profession.
Nursing Education and Training
Many registered nurses who are seeking to advance their career but do not have the opportunity to return to school full time turn to the accelerated BSN degree program. In addition, other registered nurses who already have a bachelor’s degree in another area of study choose the enroll in the program to earn their BSN without having to repeating the basic requirements that bachelor degree programs require. The goal of the second degree nursing program is to increase the number of nurses in the health care industry.
To qualify for accelerated nursing degrees students, should complete a bachelor’s degree in any area with or without having acquired an registered nurse certification prior to entering the accelerated program. However, although many nursing programs accept students with a bachelor’s degree in many fields, many students must first complete science prerequisites before graduating. These courses include anatomy, physiology, chemistry and microbiology.
The accelerated BSN program is intense. It also demands disciplined and time management skills. These and similar programs are ideal for students who are hard working, self-motivated, and focused on their person and professional goals.
The BSN takes about twelve to eighteen months to complete compared to three to four years for the regular RN to BSN program. If a graduate chooses to continue further towards a master of science in nursing (MSN), the coursework and program of study takes about three years to complete. This includes the BSN (AACN). At that point, graduates can take on positions like nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialists, nurse anesthetists, and nurse midwife.
Many nursing students have limited clinical experience before they enter the BSN program, but while enrolled, they must complete many credits as well as many hours of clinical experience. The accelerated BSN, is often abbreviated A-BSN or ABSN while the accelerated MSN, or A-MSN is earned at the masters level. Programs include:
- RN to BSN
Advanced nursing degrees include:
- BSN MSN programs
- MSN programs
- Nurse practitioner programs
Careers in Nursing
Nurses work in many settings including hospitals, health clinics, doctors’ offices, medical insurance companies, nursing homes, etc. There are many nursing specializations including:
- Acute Care Nursing
- Adult Nursing
- Cardiovascular Nursing
- Forensic Nursing
- Geriatric Nursing
- Home Health Nursing
- Infectious Disease Nursing
- Legal Nurse Consulting
- Neonatal Nursing
- Nurse Educating
- Nurse Case Manager
- Nursing Informatics Specialist
- Occupational Health Nursing
- Oncology Nursing
- Parent-Child Nursing
- Parish Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Perinatal Nursing
- Public Health Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Rehabilitation Nursing
- School Nursing
- Women’s Health Nursing
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education